If you are applying for a temporary residence permit for the first time, apply for it at any diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Slovenia abroad.
In Slovenia, you can apply for the first residence permit:
- if you already reside here on the basis of a long-stay visa (not applicable for application for first single permit, see exemptions bellow),
- if you already legally reside here, have the purpose of studying in Slovenia and submit proof of enrollment in studies,
- if you already legally reside here, you are a researcher, a higher education teacher or higher education co-worker (eg. assistant) and you have a hosting agreement with a research organization or a higher education institution in Slovenia,
- if you have a valid intra-corporate transferee (ICT) single permit issued in another EU country and you will be transferred within the company to Slovenia for over 90 days (submit your application within 30 days of entering Slovenia),
- if you have long-term resident status (LTR) in another EU country and you want to reside in Slovenia for employment, work, self-employment, seasonal work or as a daily migrant worker (submit your application within 90 days of entering Slovenia),
- if you are the holder of an EU Blue Card issued in another EU country and have resided there for the last 18 months (submit your application within 30 days of entering Slovenia),
- if you already legally reside here and wish to be employed or work, you may apply for first single permit only in case if you are:
- coach, proffesional sportsperson or registered person working at the sports field and has a valid contract of working for a club or organisation in Slovenia,
- a person who intends to work in Slovenia as a priest or convict in the context of activities of the religious community or a person who intends to organise caritative or humanitarian activity and supports its application with an evidence,
- correspondent or reporter of the foreign media with accreditation in Slovenia,
- a person that states the economic interest for Slovenia based on opinion of the competent authority,
- a person that states interest of Slovenia on the field of education, science or culture, based on the opinion of the competent authority.
Once you file an application, the administrative unit will issue a certificate, which applies as a temporary residence permit.