Habitual residence is a place where a person resides for at least 185 days in each calendar year due to personal and occupational ties, or in the case of a person without professional ties, due to personal ties showing a close connection between that person and the place where he or she lives. In the case of a person whose professional ties are in a different place from his/her personal ties and who therefore lives in different places in two or more countries, the place of that person’s personal ties is considered to be his/her habitual residence if that person regularly returns to that place. When a person lives in a country in order to fulfil a task with a certain duration, it is not necessary for this last condition to be fulfilled. Attending university or school in another country does not mean the transfer of habitual residence.

If you do not have habitual residence in Slovenia and you have only registered residence, you use your national driving license when driving a motor vehicle. When a national driving license does not comply with the Road Transport Convention, you must also have an international driving license in addition to your national driving license.