If you want to stay in Slovenia for employment or work, as a self-employed person, for seasonal work, as a daily migrant worker or as a cross-border posted worker, you must apply for a single work and residence permit.

A national of Bosnia and Herzegovina or the Republic of Serbia must also obtain a work permit under a bilateral agreement, which is considered as consent in the procedure for issuing or renewal of the single permit procedure.

Third-country nationals in the Republic of Slovenia may be employed, self-employed or work only on the basis of a previously obtained single permit.

EU citizens and persons granted international protection the same standing in the labour market as Slovenian citizens.

More information is available on the website of the Employment Service of Slovenia, and you can also visit the regional unit of the Service in person.

Rights and obligations

If you are employed on the basis of a work permit, you hold the rights and have to comply with all obligations in accordance with the national legislation, especially the Employment Relationship Act, as regards, for instance, salary, working time, break, rest, occupational safety and other rights.

In case of an employer infringing on your rights, please consult Labour Inspectorate of the Republic of Slovenia which is charge of supervising the implementation of labour legislation

On 2 September 2011 the amendment to the Agreement on Social Security between Slovenia and BIH entered into force, with which insured persons from BIH who have temporary residence permit in Slovenia also became eligible for benefit payment.

You can reed mor on the agreement here.

The agreement on social security between Slovenia and Serbia entered into force on 1 September 2019. It sets out the conditions for employing Serbian nationals and the procedures for issuing work permits, but does not include the right to reside in Slovenia.

More information on employment of citizens of the Republic of Serbia.