During your stay in the Republic of Slovenia, your family may increase by one or more family members. Before this event, you will consult your doctor in the place where you live, and the doctor will give you all the information and guidance you need. It is also important that you know in which of the maternity hospitals your child will be delivered.

The birth of the child is entered in the official register – the civil register – on the basis of the birth registration made by the health-care organisation where the child was born (maternity hospital, hospital, etc.).

A child born in the territory of the Republic of Slovenia whose parents are not citizens of the Republic of Slovenia does not acquire Slovenian citizenship at birth!

Within three months of the birth, the parents must register their child in their home country and arrange the child’s citizenship.

The administrative unit in the area where the child was born ex officio issues the first extract from the register of births (birth certificate) and sends it to your address.

If the father and mother have a permanent residence permit, the child will also be granted a permanent residence permit, but if the parents have a temporary residence permit, the child will be granted a permit for the same period. If they reside in the Republic of Slovenia on the basis of different permits, the child is granted a certificate which affords the most rights.

A child without a residence permit may not be health insured; therefore, it is advisable to arrange a registration for a new baby in your home country as soon as possible.

If one of the child’s parents has permanent residence in the Republic of Slovenia, you may claim the right to a one-time grant intended for the purchase of equipment for a new-born child. You may claim the right 60 days before the scheduled date of delivery or at the latest 60 days after the birth of the child at the social work centre which is competent according to the parents’ permanent residence.

In the Republic of Slovenia, the vaccination of children against certain infectious diseases is compulsory. You can ask your doctor for more information on this.

More information on rights and obligations can be found on the web portal eUprava, and you can also contact a locally competent social work centre.